According to campingship, located in Grant County, Mattawa is a small city of around 1,000 people situated on the Columbia River. The geography of the area is characterized by rolling hills, vast open spaces, and a semi-arid climate. The average high temperature in January is 40 degrees Fahrenheit and the average low temperature in July is 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
In terms of history, Mattawa was first settled in the early 1900s by homesteaders who were attracted to its natural beauty and potential for farming. The area later became an important stop on the Northern Pacific Railway line and was incorporated as a town in 1915. Today, Mattawa remains a small but vibrant community with many local businesses that serve as important sources of employment for its residents.
The city government consists of an elected mayor and four council members who are responsible for overseeing all local affairs. Despite its size, Mattawa maintains several public services including police and fire departments as well as a public library.
Mattawa also boasts several schools including Mattawa Elementary School, Mattawa Middle School, and Wahluke High School. All three schools are part of the Wahluke School District which serves students from throughout Grant County.
Some of the landmarks that make up Mattawa’s unique identity include Memorial Park which features playgrounds, picnic areas, and a large amphitheater; Columbia View Estates which offers stunning views of the river; and Friendship Park which is home to one of the oldest churches in Washington State dating back to 1883.
Finally, Mattawa’s economy is largely based on agriculture with many local farms producing wheat, apples, potatoes, vegetables and other crops that are sold both locally and internationally. There are also several other businesses such as restaurants, shops and motels that contribute to the city’s economic vitality. All in all Mattawa provides an ideal blend of natural beauty with economic opportunities making it an attractive destination for both visitors and those looking to call it home.
Population: 2,609. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,287 (+26.0% change)
Males: 1,573 (60.3%), Females: 1,036 (39.7%)
Zip code: 99349
Median resident age: 22.5 years
Median household income: $31,964
Median house value: $87,000
Races in Mattawa:
- Hispanic (89.8%)
- Other race (65.8%)
- White Non-Hispanic (8.5%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
- Vietnamese (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (2.3%), English (1.5%), United States (1.3%), Danish (1.0%).
Elevation: 778 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Mattawa is a small town in Grant County, Washington, with a population of 1,159 people as of the 2019 census. The majority of the population is made up of Hispanic or Latino individuals (75.1%), followed by Native American (17.1%), White (4.2%), and African American (0.9%) individuals. The median age in Mattawa is 24 years old and the gender ratio is almost even, with 50% female and 49% male residents. The median household income in Mattawa is $25,219 and the poverty rate is 37%. Most households earn less than $20,000 annually with many living on public assistance programs such as SNAP and WIC.
The majority of Mattawa’s population is employed by agricultural jobs such as farming and dairy production, with some also employed by government services or local businesses such as restaurants or convenience stores. Some of the most popular employers in town are Columbia Basin Dairy Farms, Wapato Irrigation District, Grant County Public Utility District No 1, and Mattawa School District No 209. Education levels are generally low in Mattawa due to poverty levels; only 15% have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher compared to 32% nationwide according to US Census data from 2016-2018. Despite its small size, Mattawa has a strong sense of community spirit among its residents who work together to look after one another through various initiatives such as organizing local events or providing support for those in need during difficult times.
For population 25 years and over in Mattawa
- High school or higher: 19.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 1.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.9%
- Unemployed: 13.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mattawa town
- Never married: 36.3%
- Now married: 57.0%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 1.5%
- Divorced: 3.5%
71.0% Foreign born (70.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,664 (+176.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mattawa:
- SUNNYSIDE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; SUNNYSIDE, WA)
- QUINCY VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; QUINCY, WA)
- PROSSER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 38 miles; PROSSER, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mattawa:
- YAKIMA AIR TERMINAL/MCALLISTER FIELD (about 46 miles; YAKIMA, WA; Abbreviation: YKM)
- PANGBORN MEMORIAL (about 50 miles; WENATCHEE, WA; Abbreviation: EAT)
- GRANT CO INTL (about 52 miles; MOSES LAKE, WA; Abbreviation: MWH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mattawa:
- DESERT AIRE (about 4 miles; MATTAWA, WA; Abbreviation: M94)
- SUNNYSIDE MUNI (about 30 miles; SUNNYSIDE, WA; Abbreviation: 1S5)
- QUINCY MUNI (about 33 miles; QUINCY, WA; Abbreviation: 80T)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mattawa:
- CENTRAL WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 47 miles; ELLENSBURG, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,420)
- YAKIMA VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 48 miles; YAKIMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,906)
- WENATCHEE VALLEY COLLEGE (about 56 miles; WENATCHEE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,074)
- COLUMBIA BASIN COLLEGE (about 65 miles; PASCO, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- WALLA WALLA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 118 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,812)
- UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON-SEATTLE CAMPUS (about 140 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 32,742)
- PACIFIC LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY (about 155 miles; TACOMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,265)
Public high schools in Mattawa:
- WAHLUKE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 386; Location: 502 N BOUNDARY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- SENTINEL TECH ALT SCHOOL (Students: 33; Location: RD 24 SW; Grades: 09 – 12)